A collection of stuff running through my head
1. Education: Dan Carlin did an excellent podcast yesterday on upgrading the electorate. There is no doubt in my mind that the single greatest weapon in keeping our Liberty is an informed and engaged electorate. The state of our public education is embarrassing, both for us as Americans and for teacher. It is almost impossible to fire a teacher, some district I saw recently even had over 200 teachers on the books, being paid, despite having enough against them to bar them from contact with students! And when, of all places, the DC school district Superintendant puts into place reforms, they fire her! http://www.latimes.com/theguide/mothers-day/sns-back-to-school-baltimore-inside-ed,0,1588182.story
2. AgriTrue: this is a movement, started by Jack Spirko of thesurvivalpodcast.com to put free market labeling on producer to consumer agriculture. Check it out and spread the word! www.agritrue.com , www.facebook.com/agritrue , http://www.miiu.org/wiki/AgriTrue_Farmers
3. www.miiu.org : This is another startup venture by John Robb of Global Guerrillas. Basically a wiki on all things related to resiliency and sustainability. Well worth the time.
4. Interesting Times Magazine: Weird, but lots of good thoughts: http://interestingtimesmagazine.com/download.html
5. Speaking of teachers, try firing Federal workers! Last year, only .55% of Federal workers were fired for cause. The average in large to medium corporations is 2-3%. With all the budget hype, surely we can get rid of the magician rabbit inspectors and the Department of Education SWAT team!
More here: http://economy.ocregister.com/2011/07/20/federal-workers-more-likely-to-die-than-get-fired/62777/